Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sourdough Bread Diary Day 5


This is what the starter looked like 30 minutes before feeding time.

The temperatures dropped a bit this morning and it was down to 19C in my bedroom. It felt great human-wise, but it was a bit too cool for the yeast and they have been lazy inside their bigger and better new home.

There was a layer of hooch again this morning but no layer of froth on top and I decided to put the metal lid on top of the cloth without snapping it shut to warm-up the interiors of the glass bottle a bit. Due to this or because the day became warmer, the yeast started to dance around a bit in the afternoon and I saw some sparkly bubbles emerging from the mire.

Feed: 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour + 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour + 1/2 Cup Luke Warm Water

6 comments:

Dewi said...

Wow, congratulation dear, seems like your starter is alive and healthy.
Cheers,
elra

Trish said...

Well....this is interesting. After three days 'hatching' on the kitchen counter, my 'starter' recipe told me to put it in the fridge. During the work week I have had no time to try it out but it says to bring it out to warm temp, take some of it and then use in some recipes it gave me. So this weekend is the experiement time in my kitchen.

Grin...I love your comments on my blog by the way. Yes, I am thinking Penne is a good substitute. Oh my...you make me laugh...I never though of it but I bet my Italian friends would slap my wrist for breaking the spaghetti too. Hee hee....anyway...have a great day!

Lori said...

So funny, I think we started a starter around the same time. Mine died and yours seems like it is going to make it! Yeah!

Mine turned into a hard clump! I will try again when it gets a bit warmer.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Elra: Thanks - it's healthy so far. :)

Trish: I'm really looking forward to your weekend baking. Gotta see the results...lol I love your comments too ;)

Lori: Are you sure your starter is dead? But yeah when the temperature droppped below 20C here - the starter stopped foaming and now that it's above 20C it's foaming again...so it seem to be pretty temperature sensitve. What about pouring warm water over the clump? Maybe there are dormant yeast inside that clump?
In either case it's nice we can share information like this since it's the first time around for some of us here, i.e. attempting a starter!

Siri said...

Good work!

I've been inspired to make my own batch of hooch soon!

So are the books on your bookshelf ok, or are they smelling yeasty now?

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Siri: Looks easy when I do it, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing more of your glorious bread made with home made sourdough. :)